Monday, November 21, 2011

In a twitter over glitter . . .

I had two card classes last weekend.  And I loved it because both were so different and yet so enjoyable for that.  The first was with my regular Hostess Club.  These ladies are great, I know them and I'm comfortable.  I'm in my own home so I never have to worry about forgetting supplies etc.  The cards were a hit, I think I posted them in an earlier blog.

The second class was all new.  It's been a while since I went out to work with all new ladies.  The Hostess won the class . . . It was a Silent Auction item that I donated at the recent BC Crop for Kids event supporting BC Children's Hospital. Great Group of ladies and they genuinely seemed to enjoy the class and their cards.  At the end of class two of the ladies brought out some of their recent card making efforts to show and tell.  Well, one of the cards was just stunning, take my breath away amazing. 

This talented woman, Chris Coombers, took Sook Wang and laid it on plain, white cardstock.  Then she laid one of those stained glass frame looking black stickers on top.  They were in the shape of ornaments.  She covered the whole thing in clear, fine glitter and then used copic pens to colour OVER the glitter.  I've never seen this technique before.  The result was so beautiful that my whole hour long drive home I was tossing around ideas for how to make that exclusively with CTMH products.

this is what I came up with:
My only dissapointment was realizing that this CTMH stamp set (Ornate Ornaments) is no longer available . . .I bought it last year.

Here are the three techniques I used . . .
Trial #1: (middle card)

Stamped image in black ink, then overstamped in versamark and clear embossed (I don't have black embossing powder).  Then I went over the entire image with our CTMH Bonding memories glue (using the fine tip pen for the ribbon and the broad tip for the ornament).  I shook prisma glitter over the entire image.  I then used the CTMH blending pen and ink from the top of the ink pad case (see pg. 51 of the Autumn/Winter 2011 Idea book) and coloured over the image.  Not bad . . . but you really have to press the blending pen in and it rubs a bit of the glitter off. 

Trial #2: (right card)


This time I just used the black ink stamped image without embossing.  I used the bonding memories glue again and prisma glitter.  Then I used the Waterbrush and ink from the lid of the ink pad to colour in the stamped image.  This technique blended so much better and I had no problem with the glitter rubbing off.  I did have to be careful not to have the brush too wet or it would run the black ink.  But this was minor and I can't even tell on the finished product.

Trial #3: (left card)

For this one I stamped with black ink again, but coloured it in with the waterbrush first.  The I used the heat gun to dry it, applied the bonding memories glue and prisma glitter.  For some reason this one seams a little "duller" . . not sure why.

My favorite was trial #2.  I am so excited and playing around with a few more ideas  - - trying to encorporate the Cricut Art Philosophy in there as well.

I may be totally covered in glitter . . .what a great way to christen my new scrapbooking room that I just moved in to . . . But I want you to try playing around with this.  The final product is so pretty!  I wish my pictures did it justice . . . if anyone has a direct line to Santa I want a digital dSLR camera for Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment